August 12, 2009

We Make Disciples

I found myself a little perplexed recently when I was challenged to explain to someone what “business I was in” and “what product our business delivered” (referring to New Day Church). What a great question (one that I didn’t have a CLEAR and CONCISE answer to until now).


A while back I saw a semi-truck on the highway. It had the company name and slogan on the side of the truck. The name of the company was RYDER and the slogan was TRUCK RENTAL & LEASING. Pretty straight forward. Then I passed a PAPA JOHN’S and underneath the name it simply said PIZZA. Not too creative, but very clear. Examples like these got me thinking...If I was to boil it all down and explain to someone in business terms what our church is all about, what would our “catch phrase” or “slogan” be? I heard something recently that helped me boil it all down. Check it out:


New Day Church is in the disciple development business and our product is Christlike people.


That’s what we’re all about. Biblically, that’s what business EVERY church is in (whether they realize it or not) and that’s the product every church should be striving to deliver (even if they aren’t).


We are to MAKE disciples (help them get saved).

We are to MARK disciples (help them identify with the body of Jesus through water baptism)

We are to MATURE disciples (help them grow spiritually)


And the result of making disciples is changed lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment