August 9, 2009

Wait 24 Hours


Any financial advisor worth his/her weight in gold will tell you to wait at least 24 hours before making any significant purchase. I decided to apply this knowledge to a recent purchase and I'm so glad I did. It literally saved me over $400.

Kristin has been looking for a kitchen table that seats six because of all the hosting we do. Our current table only had 4 seats and it was never enough. Anyways, we went to the mall (just because) and while we were there found a good deal on a 6 seat kitchen table for about $550. We wanted to get it right then and there but decided it wouldn't be prudent to walk into the mall, not having even intended to look for tables, and then buy one for over $500. We decided to wait 24 hours and then come back and get it if we still wanted it.

Within about 12 hours I received a phone call from my mom (who is a hardcore tag saler) who had found a 6 seat kitchen table for $120 at a tag sale. We showed up, talked them down $5 and walked away with a beautiful used kitchen table with 6 chairs for $115!

We were so glad we decided to apply the good financial practice of waiting at least 24 hours before making a major purchase. I'm not promising that if you do you will save over $400, but YOU MIGHT!

Wait at least 24 hours before making a major purchase. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment