November 9, 2012

Where did this take place?

This morning I was reading the story of Samson in Judges 13-16. Mentioned in these chapters were the names of many towns I was unfamiliar with. I found myself asking "Where did this take place?" I couldn't of told you where Eshtaol, Zorah, Ashkelon, Gaza or Hebron were located. Knowing how helpful it is to understand where the events I'm reading about took place, I pulled out my Holman Bible Atlas by Thomas V. Brisco and skimmed over the chapters again, this time locating in my Bible Atlas where each town was located. This brought a deeper understanding and a richer Bible reading experience.

A Bible Atlas will help you better understand where the events you are reading about took place. Some Study Bibles already have maps in the back, but if yours doesn't you may want to purchase a Bible Atlas for your personal Bible study. In addition to the Holman Bible Atlas I would also recommend the Zondervan Atlas of the Bible by Carl G. Rasmussen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment