November 26, 2012

Psalm 141:4

David prays in Psalm 141:4, "Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil so that I take part in wicked deeds..." This is similar to The Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6 where Jesus instructs us to pray "And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one" (v.13). 

Our hearts are inclined toward evil because we were born with a sinful nature. Galatians 5:17 says "The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other..." We have received our current bodies from Adam (that is, we have all descended from Adam) and since Adam sinned we were born with a sin nature. However, we will receive our new bodies from Christ and since Christ never sinned we will not have a sin nature in heaven. But on this side of eternity our hearts, like David's heart, will be inclined towards sin. 

So are we left defenseless against these rebellious hearts we have? No! We have the superweapon of prayer. 2 Corinthians 10:4 says "The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds." A superweapon can turn around the outcome of a war very quickly. And that's exactly what prayer can do. 

Since temptations abound, so must our prayers! Here's a suggested prayer you could pray based off Psalm 141:4, Matthew 6:13, Galatians 5:17 and 2 Corinthians 10:4. 

Heavenly Father, my heart is inclined towards evil more than I like to admit. Please change my heart. I don't want to be guilty of practicing wickedness. Help me to do everything I can to avoid temptation, but when we do cross paths, help me to come out the winner and not the loser. I hate the conflicting desires within me! One part wants to do good but at the same time another part wants to do evil. Help me resist the part that wants to do wrong and give in to the part that wants to do right. I'm not trusting in my own strength to live right, I'm trusting in the power You provide when I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment