November 16, 2012

Rejoicing in God's Creation

For Lincoln's birthday I got a Pacman Frog...Don't be confused in thinking I bought a Pacman Frog for Lincoln. On the contrary, it was my mother who bought the frog, but I have fallen in love with this little creature! With a face like this, who wouldn't? 



I absolutely delight in God's creation! When I watch Planet Earth or Human Planet (minus all the evolution nonsense) I am simply fascinated at the creativity and wisdom of God. 

Isaiah 65:18 says of the New Heavens and New Earth "...be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create..." Even though this specifically applies to God's future creation, I think there's a principle here we can apply to His present one. God wants us to delight and take pleasure in and be fascinated with the work of his hands - his creation. 

Charles Spurgeon once wrote: 

I must confess that I think it a most right and excellent thing that you and I should rejoice in the natural creation of God.

I do not think that any man is altogether beyond hope who can take delight in the nightly heavens as he watches the stars, and feel joy as he treads the meadows all bedecked with kingcups and daisies. He is not lost to better things who, on the waves, rejoices in the creeping things innumerable drawn up from the vast deep, or who, in the woods, is charmed with the sweet carols of the feathered minstrels.

One of the purest and most innocent of joys, apart from spiritual things, in which a man can indulge, is a joy in the works of God. . . . I like to see my Savior on the hills, and by the shores of the sea. I hear my Father’s voice in the thunder, and listen to the whispers of his love in the cadence of the sunlit waves. These are my Father’s works, and therefore I admire them, and I seem all the nearer to him when I am among them.


When I read that I thought to myself "I can relate!" He goes on to say: 

If I were a great artist, I should think it a very small compliment if my son came into my house, and said he would not notice the pictures I had painted, because he only wanted to think of me. He therein would condemn my paintings, for if they were good for anything, he would be rejoiced to see my hand in them. Oh, but surely, everything that comes from the hand of such a Master-artist as God has something in it of himself!

What's Spurgeon trying to communicate here? I think he's saying: In the same way we can see the hand of an artist in his painting, so we can see the hand of God in his creation! 

Why not slow down just a bit today to admire God's creation...the majesty of a tree...the wonder of a bird flying...the beauty of a lake. Then praise God for his creation, for in it we see just a glimpse of His majesty, His wonder and His beauty. 

Alright - enough typing. Heading outside now with the kids to play with our bunny! 


Unlike our Guinea Pigs, he doesn't have anyone to play with!


No comments:

Post a Comment