May 26, 2013

Ten Thought Provoking Questions on Debt

As Andrew spoke on debt today it reminded me of ten thought provoking questions from Randy Alcorn's book Money, Possession and Eternity.

1) Is debt our means of short-circuiting the God-created means of acquisition - including work, saving, planning, self-discipline, patience, and waiting for divine provision?

2) Is not having enough resources to pay cash for what I want God's way of telling me it isn't his willfor me to buy it?

3) Debt often results in financial pressures strong enough to break up marriages. Would borrowing create financial pressure of any kind in my life?

4) I believe the government should limit spending to available revenues. Is it right to hold myself to a different standard?

5) Romans 13:8 says "Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another..." (NASB) Does this verse prohibit debt?

6) Nehemiah 5:3-5 describes being in debt as NOT a good thing. In a time of famine, the ultimate act of despair was to mortgage fields, vineyards and homes. Should such things take place under normal circumstances? According to the Bible, is debt reserved for desperate situations or everyday use?

7) Is the money I will be obligated to repay, and the bondage it will create, worth the value I'll receive by getting the money or possessions now?

8) Is debt a vicious cycle? Once I pay off the debt, what new needs and wants will I have?

9) Is debt a way of getting around depending on God? Would NOT borrowing create a greater dependence on God and allow God to show his faithfulness in my life?

10) Does debt tempt us and allow us to pursue what God hasn't provided and doesn't intend for us?

To hear Andrew's message on debt visit www.newdaychurch.cc/financialfitness 

No comments:

Post a Comment