September 8, 2013

Educators, Not Entertainers

Parents are supposed to be primarily educators, not entertainers. 
  • Deuteronomy 4:9 says in reference to God’s decrees and laws, “Teach them to your children and to their children after them... “ 
  • Deuteronomy 6:6, “These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children.” 
  • Deuteronomy 11:18-20, “Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates...” 
Parents are supposed to be primarily educators, not entertainers. Is it wrong to buy your kids toys? Of course not! But I hope their toy to spiritual tool ratio isn’t completely out of whack. 

  •  I’ve bought my daughter Allyson a doll before. But I’ve also bought her a little girl’s devotional
  • I’ve bought my son Lincoln a baseball. But I’ve also bought him a Bible
I play with my kids. I watch movies with my kids. I enjoy entertaining them. But my primary role as a parent isn’t entertainer. It’s educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment