September 5, 2013

7 Things Parents Need to Teach Their Kids - Part 4

There are seven things good parents will prioritize teaching their children. These seven truths come from The Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6 and are the spiritual foundation for successful children.

4. God can meet all my needs. 

Matthew 6:11, “Give us this day our daily bread.” NKJV

Parents. You won’t always be around. So you need to prioritize teaching your kids that God can meet all their needs. The path of parenting is supposed to look like this: Your kids should go from being 100% dependent upon you, to being 100% independent of you, to being 100% dependent upon God. “Bread” represents every kind of provision and God is capable of providing whatever your kids need at each season of their lives. So you need to teach them to turn to God for whatever they need. So when your kids ask for something, why not encourage them to go ahead and pray about it. In other words - teach them to depend on God for what they need. My mom is such a great example of this. Whenever I tell her of a need she turns straight to God, modeling for me that God is the one who meets all our needs.

If you don’t teach your kids that God promises to meet all their needs, they will become little worry warts. And don’t tell me that kids don’t worry. Don’t tell me that worrying is only something adults do. Just recently one of my neighbors told me that her 10 year old was expressing concern over having to grow up, get a job and find a wife! Don’t tell me kids don’t worry!

Friends - provision is the answer to worry. And when your kids know that ultimately God will provide all their needs - they don’t have to live a life of worry. So teach your kids to turn to God and trust him to meet all their needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment