April 23, 2013

Our Highest Authority

Romans 13:1-2 says "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

As Christians we're to submit to the governing authorities. The only exception is when the governing authorities command something God forbids. This is the clear teaching of both the Old and New Testaments.

For an Old Testament example we look to Exodus 1:15-17 where "The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah, "When you are helping the Hebrew women during childbirth on the delivery stool, if you see that the baby is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live." The midwives, however, feared God and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do; they let the boys live." And because the midwives feared God more than Pharaoh the Bible records "...God was kind to the midwives..." (Exodus 1:20). God didn't condemn the midwives for disobeying. In this instance, God blessed them for recognizing Him as their Highest Authority.

We see the same thing in the New Testament. The book of Acts makes clear the fact that Scripture must be our highest authority. When Peter was ordered by the rulers of his nation to stop preaching the gospel, he responded: "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard" (Acts 4:19-20). As a result God blessed the church and "the word of God spread" (Acts 6:7).

Again, as Christians we're to submit to the governing authorities. The only exception is when the governing authorities command something God forbids. Here's a couple more examples...

  • The Bible teaches children to obey the authority of their parents. The only exception is when the parents command something God forbids. 
  • The Bible teaches employees to obey the authority of their employer. The only exception is when the employer commands something God forbids. 
  • The Bible teaches wives to obey the authority of their husband. The only exception is when the husband commands something God forbids. 
How do I apply this principle practically in my own life? Here's two examples...

  • I might not like that since I own less than five acres of land I'm not allowed to have chickens or honey bees on my property (which I personally think would be pretty awesome). But since this town ordinance doesn't require me to break any of the Christian teachings in the Bible, I'm required to submit to it. And I have. As much as I want to, I haven't (and won't) buy any chickens because the Bible says I'm to submit to the governing authorities. 
  • I might not like that speed limits are posted that regulate how fast I drive. But since this law doesn't require me to break any of teachings of Scripture, I'm required to submit to it. 
As long as we aren't required to disobey God, we're required biblically to obey the government (and all authorities God has placed over our lives). With that said, if the day comes (and I believe it's on its way) where legislation mandates I disobey a teaching in Scripture, I will have every right to disobey with a clear conscience. As Christians, our highest authority is not the government, but God (and His will as revealed in His Word).

No comments:

Post a Comment