April 24, 2013

Called or Invited?

I think a very important question worth taking some time to answer is: As Christians, are we called by God to serve or invited? Let me explain...

If God invites us to serve then "yes" or "no" are equally acceptable answers. But if God calls us to serve, if it's more a command than an invitation, then a "yes" equals obedience and "no" disobedience. Since so many Christians show by their actions they believe we're invited and not called, I think it's worth the time to answer this question biblically.

Let's first look at the passage I was originally reading that made me ask the question we're now trying to answer. In Exodus 3:10 God says to Moses, "So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." Notice the command "...go." This is not a suggestion. There's only one answer here that is pleasing to God. A "yes" or "no" are not equally acceptable responses. God called Moses to serve. He didn't invite him.

As I thought about this Old Testament example and it's implications ("no" equals disobedience) I wondered what I might find in a New Testament example, and who better to look to than Jesus. In John 13:14-15 he said, "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." Notice again the command. This is not a suggestion. There's only one answer here that is pleasing to God. A "yes" or "no" are not equally acceptable responses. Jesus calls us to serve, making how we respond a matter of obedience or disobedience. A "yes" is not the same as a "no".

I read just this morning, "George Gallup once took a survey and discovered that only ten percent of American church members are active in any kind of personal ministry. He also discovered that 50 percent of all church members have no interest in serving in any ministry. No matter how much a church promotes involvement in lay ministry, half of its members will remain spectators." Clearly there is great confusion in the body of Christ over whether serving is a command or a suggestion!

Listen up New Day...I'm your pastor and I love you so I need to tell you the truth...The Bible teaches if you're not serving, you're sinning. To not serve is to ignore the example set for us in Scripture and disobey a direct command of Jesus. To summarize: Saints serve, sinners don't.

We are in the midst of our bi-annual ministry fair where we've been showcasing the various ministries of our church, the needs we have and how you can get involved. Let me ask you...Have you responded as if Jesus invites us to serve, or have you responded as if Jesus calls us to serve? 

If you'd like to sign up to serve online, just click here

No comments:

Post a Comment