June 21, 2010

What Sin Really Costs

The other day I was pulled over for speeding and I got a $240 ticket. Like everyone who gets a ticket - I don't think I was going as fast as the officer said I was, etc. But let's leave that aside for a minute. I'm appealing the ticket, but if I am charged with the moving violation it won't cost me $240. It will cost me closer to $840. How you might ask? When you get a ticket and it goes on your record your insurance goes up about $100 a year for six years! That's right. Six years! Not months. Years!

Now lets look at the payoff for speeding...If you speed a considerable amount over the speed limit for like three hours you might save 30 minutes (if you're lucky). That's not that great. Now lets look at what you'll pay for speeding...If you get caught and get a ticket you'll have to pay $28 for every minute you sped ($840 - the total cost of the ticket - divided by 30 minutes - the time you saved by speeding = $28 fine per minute you sped). Even a quick analysis like this shows that speeding is NOT WORTH IT!

And the same is true OF SIN. It's not worth it. The payoff is little (i.e. whatever pleasure you derived from your sin), but what you pay is great (i.e. the consequences). Like a speeding ticket - there is a hidden price tag that Satan loves to hide from us. The price is never $240, it's always $840.

1 comment:

  1. you know that is so true!! Great way to look at it!!

    ReplyDelete