November 14, 2013

The Divine Order: Illustrated by Nature

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 11:3 that life works best with Christ in authority over man, a husband in authority over his wife (cf. Ephesians 5:22) and God in authority over Christ. This is the divine order. Now the apostle Paul knew that some of the Corinthians would get the wrong idea about the divine order, so he gave them five illustrations to make his meaning clear. In this post we'll look at his fourth illustration.

Illustration #4: Nature

In 1 Corinthians 11:13-15 Paul writes “Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” Paul is saying that men and women are created by God to compliment each other, yet to be different. Therefore, there should be a visible distinction between a man and a woman which serves as a visible reminder that God has different roles for men and women.

I remember going to Centrum Camp in West Springfield as a kid and wondering why this one guy was always hanging out with the girls. Several days into camp we found out that the reason this guy was always with the girls was because he was actually a she. But my goodness - even after someone told us she was a girl, we all had trouble believing it. I remember another time at a youth event in Maryland, tI met a new kid named Cade (C-A-D-E). But when I was told his name I heard Kate (K-A-T-E). Since I thought he told me his name was Kate and since he looked just like a girl at that point in time, I called him Kate all night. No one picked up on it. I don't remember exactly when or how I found out, but eventually someone informed me that Kate was Cade and a boy, not a girl. But man alive - it's getting harder and harder to tell now a days!

And this is exactly why it's important to take steps to clearly identify your gender in your appearance. It's a visual reminder that men and women are different and have different God-given roles. Now in our American culture, a man wearing his hair long is no longer considered distinctly feminine as it was in Paul’s day so I don’t personally believe you need to run out after service and get a haircut if you have long hair. But I would definitely say that if you’re a man don't wear a dress, don’t wear make up, don’t wear high heels and don’t wear a purse. These things are distinctly feminine. In the same way - Do women have to have long hair? I don’t believe they do. In our American culture you can clearly be identified as female even with short hair. And that's the goal. For men to clearly appear as men and for women to clearly appear as women.

I think a man honors God when he takes steps to appear distinctly masculine. I think a woman honors God when she takes steps to appear distinctly feminine. It’s a small way we can show God that we are embracing his divine order in the universe. When a man dresses like a man and a woman dresses like a woman, a pleasing message is sent to God that says: I am ok with who You made me to be. I have a different role to play than someone of the opposite sex - and I want to reflect that difference in my appearance.

So men - embrace your masculinity. Be a man and look like a man. Women - embrace your femininity. Be a woman and look like a woman. It’s a testimony to the different roles God has for us in his divinely established order.

No comments:

Post a Comment