October 13, 2013

Division: Evidence of Spiritual Immaturity

I Corinthians 1:11-12 where Paul writes, For some members of Chloe’s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters. 12 Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul.” Others are saying, “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Peter,” or “I follow only Christ.” NLT 
It's human nature to divide up into little groups and war against other groups. In the world it's Republicans against Democrats, Red Sox fans against Yankee fan, Chevy Drivers against Ford drivers, Mac users against PC users. That's how the world operates. But this isn't how Christians are supposed to act. But this is exactly what was happening at the church in Corinth.

You see - the Christians at Corinth had divided up into little factions - into little dissenting groups within the same church.
  • Paul’s ministry was geared towards the Gentiles (Acts 18:6), so no doubt the Gentiles (that is - the non-Jews) in the congregation were saying “I follow Paul”. 
  • Peter’s ministry was geared towards the Jews, so no doubt the Jews were saying “I follow Peter”. 
  • After Paul left Corinth to start another church in Ephesus, Apollos became their new pastor (Acts 18:27), and some liked Apollos better than Paul so they were saying “I follow Apollos”. 
  • Now - while the first three groups were guilty of overemphasizing human leadership (and in so doing causing division), this last group was guilty of underemphasizing human leadership (and in so doing causing division). These were the rebels in the church who refused to follow the spiritual leadership God appointed in the church. In saying "I only follow Christ" they were really saying "I follow only me!" 
The people divided into camps and weren’t friendly towards others not in their camp. In the same way the people in the church were saying “Paul is best” while others were saying “No, Apollos is best” while others were saying “No, Peter is best”. And then the self-righteous people were saying “No, I’m the best.”

So in a pretty strong rebuke Paul has to tell the people in the church “Knock it off! Division in the church is evidence of spiritual immaturity and it needs to stop." 1 Corinthians 3:3-4, “...You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world? When one of you says, “I am a follower of Paul,” and another says, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you acting just like people of the world? NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment