September 3, 2010

How to Measure Importance

I was watching a documentary last night called Born Rich and the manager of some upscale New York night club said something very interesting. He explained that when he arrives each night for work he looks at the guest list, figures out who is most important and then seats people accordingly. He wants the wealthy people sitting where everyone can see them so they will inspire the 'common folk' to order expensive bottles of champaign.

This got me thinking...How does the manager determine who is most important? I'm not smart but since this was a documentary on being rich - it didn't take me too long to figure out the answer to my question. According to the manager (and the culture we live in) the more money you have the more important you are. It makes me sad to live in a culture where our importance is determined by how much money and material possessions we have. Thankfully, this is not how God measures importance. When God is measuring importance, he looks at a totally different set of criteria.

1. He looks at the heart.

First Samuel 16:7 says "But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

2. He looks to see if "love" is the number one characteristic in our life.

First Corinthians 13:1-3 says, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Translation: If you don't "love" you're nothing in God's eyes!

3. He looks for a servant.

Matthew 23:11-12 says, The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

You might not have money. You might never become rich. You might get turned down if you ever tried to get into one of those fancy night clubs. Our culture may never label you "important". But if you have a pure heart, if you love, and if you serve - you will be very important in God's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment