October 7, 2009

My First Growth Group

History was made last night. I led my first New Day Growth Group. When we started the church, I said that someday I wanted to have growth groups. However, being the great man of faith I am (sarcasm), I never imagined we'd be up and running so soon.

Our mission is to lead people to become mature followers of Jesus. We define M.A.T.U.R.E. as someone who is "M" making spiritual progress, "A" attending church, "T" tithing, "U" utilizing their gifts in the context of New Day Church, "R" reaching out by inviting people to church, "E" every week. And our groups help people become mature. You make spiritual progress as you study the Bible with others each week. By building relationships with people in your group you're encouraged to attend New Day more faithfully. When you are a part of a group you are encouraged to know that others are giving of their financialy resources toward the work of God - not just you. Each group has to serve together so that covers the "U" in "M.A.T.U.R.E." And each group must reach out and do a servant evangelism project together once a semester so that covers "R".

People really seemed to like being at group. At a Growth Group you get to meet new people, eat delicious food, have fun, hear other peoples story, and grow spiritually. Groups are great! I really enjoyed meeting last night. It's kind of funny that we call them groups, because we really could call them "parties". When you have 15 people over your house - it's a party!

We had 69 people sign up to participate in a growth group. Last month our average adult attendance was 76 so that's about 90% of our average adult attendance signed up for groups. A lot of growth group books say you're doing good if you have like 30% so this is just wonderful.

Bethany & Gerson have been a HUGE catalyst for groups getting started at New Day. I remember when I first met them how they said "we're looking for a church with small groups." They have been the ones working with me for about 6 months planning out this first semester of groups. And they've done a great job!

I absolutely love the fact that New Day now offers church on Sunday and then groups on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Five out of the the seven days of the week, there's a New Day service or group. I love it! That makes me feel so good. Sunday may be over, my group may have already met - but there's two more meeting tonight, and then another meeting on Thursday. This is just fantastic. I look forward to the day when New Day offers something every single day of the week!

Well, that was all over the place I know. But I just wanted to record something about the first week of New Day Growth Groups. This is history in the making for our church and I'm very excited about it!

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! To God be the Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled to meet w/my group tomorow night! I have been wanting a home Bible study for years now and the time has finally come! I love meeting new people and developing a bond with them over Jesus, there's power in numbers! Amen!
    Melissa Torres-Newman

    ReplyDelete