July 31, 2009

Why Worship?


Have you ever been to church and wondered why a portion of the service was dedicated to singing?


Psalm 28:6-7 gives us some insight. David writes: “Praise the Lord! For he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength, my shield from every danger. I trust in him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.”


David has been praying and God has responded. This makes David happy and gives him reason to “burst out in songs of thanksgiving.” In short, ONE of the reasons we sing (worship) is to say thank you to God for prayers he has answered, for the practical help he gives us in life.


Have you ever prayed to God and asked for help for something? Maybe you should try so that you too can say, like David, “He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.” Why not give God the opportunity to give you a reason to worship him?


Reasons I have to worship God:

  1. He fills the void I have on the inside when I don’t spend time with Him through Bible reading and prayer.
  2. He has saved me from the penalty of my sin (eternal punishment in hell) and then graciously promised me heaven.
  3. He has provided me with a wife (and best friend) and two wonderful children.
  4. He helps me get through tough and stressful times in my life. He helps me through life’s troubles and problems.
  5. He gives my life purpose: to bring pleasure to him by the way I live and to serve others.
  6. I have someone to turn to at all times who is able and willing to help me.
  7. He provides for all my needs and then goes above and beyond to give me some nice-ities as well.


I could go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment